The Ryzen 9 7945HX3D, a notebook processor equipped with 3D V-Cache, boasts 16 cores and 32 threads, a boost clock of 5.4GHz, and a total L3 cache capacity of 128MB. These specifications are aimed at enhancing performance for 1080p gaming. The first laptop to incorporate this processor is the “ROG STRIX SCAR 17 X3D (2023) G733PYV,” featuring a 17.3-inch QHD 240Hz G-Sync display and an RTX 4090 laptop GPU. The performance improvement in gaming and efficiency is a notable highlight!
ROG STRIX SCAR 17 X3D (2023) G733PYV Details:
- Operating System: Windows 11 Pro
- Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 7945HX3D, 16C32T, 128MB L3 Cache, 5.4GHz Boost
- Memory: Dual 32GB DDR5-4800 SO-DIMM
- Graphics Chip: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Laptop GPU (16GB GDDR6, 175W Dynamic Boost) & Internal Display AMD Radeon 610M
- Main Display: 17.3-inch 16:9 QHD (2560×1400), 240Hz, IPS, 100% DCI-P3, G-Sync, MUX Switch + NVIDIA Advanced Optimus
- Storage: Single 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD
- Keyboard: Full Configuration, Per-Key RGB, 2mm Travel
- I/O Ports: Includes 3.5mm headset jack, HDMI 2.1 FRL, 2.5G LAN RJ-45, USB 3.2 Gen1 & Gen2 Type-C (with DisplayPort/G-SYNC), and more
- Audio: Dual Smart Amplifier Speakers, Built-in Mic, Dolby Atmos, AI Noise Cancellation, Hi-Res Certified
- Network: 2.5GbE LAN, Wi-Fi 6E 2×2, Bluetooth v5.2
- Battery: 4-Cell, 90WHrs
- Power Supply: 19.5V DC, 16.5A, 330W
- Dimensions: 39.5 x 28.2 x 2.34 ~ 2.83 cm
- Weight: 3Kg
- Video Camera: 720p at 30fps
This configuration emphasizes the machine’s gaming prowess and the benefits the Ryzen 9 7945HX3D processor brings to performance and energy efficiency.
Upgrade Ryzen 7945HX3D! ROG STRIX SCAR 17 X3D (2023) Gaming notebook out of the box
AMD’s innovative 3D V-Cache technology leverages TSV (Through-Silicon Vias) and Hybrid Bond methods to enable a direct link between chips on the CCX core chip within the processor. This design results in an enlarged L3 cache capacity. The Ryzen 7945HX3D encompasses two CCXs and one IOD, with one CCX integrating 3D V-Cache and the other maintaining the standard CCX configuration.
AMD has explained, “By adopting a dual CCX setup – one with a low-latency, large L3 cache, and the other with a higher clock speed – the overall cost becomes more effective than equipping both CCXs with 3D V-Cache. This approach enables prioritizing games for the CCX with 3D V-Cache, while standard CCXs are prioritized for other applications.” This strategy aims to achieve a balance between performance and cost, tailoring the architecture to the specific demands of various use cases.
AMD’s statistics reveal that in 1080p resolution, the Ryzen 7945HX3D can deliver an average of 15% enhancement in gaming performance compared to its predecessor, the original 7945HX. ROG (Republic of Gamers) also notes an average increase of up to 20% in performance for certain games. However, it’s worth highlighting that these results are specific to the 1080p resolution test. In contrast, the ROG STRIX SCAR 17 X3D (2023) G733PYV laptop, featuring this processor, is outfitted with a 2K 1440p QHD display, making it a distinct configuration.
Thus, for this specific examination, a 1440p resolution will be employed to evaluate and compare the gaming performance. Additionally, due to the inclusion of a 3D V-Cache chip stacked on the core, the Ryzen 7945HX3D processor will demonstrate improvements over the original 7945HX in various aspects such as the upper-temperature limit, clock and voltage curve, and power consumption performance. However, it might exhibit slightly weaker performance in certain computational tasks.
2K benefits are limited, but this level must be on! 17.3-inch QHD 240Hz IPS gaming monitor with G-Sync
The ROG STRIX SCAR 17 X3D (2023) G733PYV primarily enhances the processor, leaving the rest of the specifications consistent with the G733PY model. It boasts a 17.3-inch QHD 1440p IPS display, offering a high refresh rate of 240Hz and a 3ms response time that meets the demands of e-sports enthusiasts. This setup ensures clear gaming visuals without trailing images, along with 100% DCI-P3 color gamut performance. Whether exploring the intricate worlds of AAA gaming titles or enjoying the vibrant and rich imagery of movies and shows, users can expect an outstanding visual experience.
The screen comes with support for both “G-Sync Compatibility and Adaptive-Sync” synchronization functions. This means that when the laptop is in “MSHybrid” mode, it can enable Adaptive-Sync synchronization when using the internal display AMD Radeon 610M. Conversely, when switched to the RTX 4090 for “discrete display output,” it supports G-Sync-compatible synchronization. This technology ensures smoother gaming visuals for laptop users and represents a feature typically only found in select high-end models. It further elevates the gaming experience, minimizing screen tearing and providing more fluid motion.
Single-key RGB backlit keyboard, 100% configured numeric keypad, large left touchpad
The ROG STRIX SCAR 17 X3D (2023) continues to feature a 100% configured keyboard, including a numeric area. The F1 through F12 keys can be combined with the Fn Key to control various functionalities such as volume, keyboard lighting effects, performance mode, and screen brightness. Above the keyboard, five shortcut keys labeled M1 to M5 are provided and defaulted to control functions like volume, microphone muting, fan speed, and access to Armory Crate.
The keyboard has a single-key RGB backlight with a 2mm key travel and includes a small, independent arrow key section. To prevent accidental presses, the notebook’s power key is designed as an independent button. However, one thing to note is that the laptop’s enlarged touchpad is still positioned to the left. This could potentially lead to inadvertent touches with the left hand while operating WASD keys during gaming, causing unintended input. It’s a design consideration that gaming enthusiasts might want to be aware of.
I/O configuration: 2.5GbE LAN, dual USB 3.2 Gen2 Type C, and HDMI 2.1 support 3 screen outputs
The I/O ports on the ROG STRIX SCAR 17 X3D (2023) are strategically placed on the left and rear sides of the laptop, leaving the right side free for comfortable mouse usage. This design ensures that players won’t be hindered by connected cables while using a mouse, making it particularly accommodating for those with limited desktop space.
On the left side of the laptop, there are 2 USB 3.2 Gen1 ports and a 3.5mm headphone/microphone combo jack. The rear houses 2 USB 3.2 Gen2 Type-C ports, both of which support DisplayPort 1.4 G-Sync display output. The central Type-C port also has the capability for USB Power Delivery 3.0 charging. Additionally, the rear includes an HDMI 2.1 port, a 2.5GbE RJ-45 network connection, and the DC In power input port. The thoughtful positioning of these connections enhances the user experience, particularly for gamers who need easy access to various peripherals and display options.
The ROG STRIX SCAR 17 X3D (2023) offers the capability for a three-screen external output, allowing for a maximum four-screen usage environment when including the laptop’s own display. When connected to external monitors, the HDMI 2.1 and both USB-C DisplayPort 1.4 G-Sync outputs of the laptop are utilized by the RTX 4090 independent display for output. This configuration enables a flexible and immersive multi-screen experience, catering to both gamers and professionals who need extensive visual workspace.
ROG smart cooling technology, vapor chamber, dual fans, four air outlets
The ROG STRIX SCAR 17 X3D (2023) features an intelligent thermal design at the bottom of the laptop, characterized by low-profile, large-area cooling vents and multi-shaped rubber feet that create space for cooling airflow. This heat dissipation design leverages ROG’s smart cooling technology, incorporating a large-area vapor chamber that covers the CPU, GPU, GDDR6 memory, and power supply module. Cooling the laptop is achieved through a combination of four sets of cooling fins and dual fans. This comprehensive cooling approach ensures that the laptop can maintain optimal performance, even under the heavy demands of gaming and intensive tasks, by effectively managing heat distribution.
Upon removing the bottom shell, the internal design of the ROG STRIX SCAR 17 X3D (2023) reveals a large-area vapor chamber that encompasses the CPU, GPU, GDDR6 memory, and power supply module. The cooling medium for the CPU and GPU is Thermal Grizzly’s Conductonaut Extreme liquid metal, a highly efficient thermal compound that aids in heat transfer.
The central vapor chamber extends to two sets of cooling fins situated at the rear of the laptop. Meanwhile, for the cooling fins located on the left and right sides of the laptop, heat pipes are utilized to channel waste heat away. This multi-faceted cooling approach reflects a sophisticated engineering design, emphasizing both performance and thermal efficiency, essential for maintaining stable operations during high-demand computing activities.
The ROG STRIX SCAR 17 X3D (2023) notebook is equipped with 2 DDR5 SO-DIMM memory slots, with 32GB DDR5-4800 memory already installed. In addition to the specification mentioning a 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD, there’s an additional M.2 2280 SSD expansion slot found on the actual circuit board. It is logical to assume that this expansion slot would also support a PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD, given the laptop’s advanced specifications. This provision for expandable storage offers users the flexibility to upgrade their storage space, catering to different needs and preferences, especially for those looking for faster access to large files or increased capacity for games and multimedia content.
Armory Crate monitoring, performance switching and Advanced Optimus + MUX hardware switching
The software aspect of the ROG STRIX SCAR 17 X3D (2023) is highlighted by the Armory Crate home page, which offers an extensive overview of the system information, including details on the CPU, GPU, memory, and fan. Furthermore, it allows users to switch performance modes, GPU Mode, and access various system settings. The “MUX hardware” switching function is referred to as GPU Mode within the software.
Users can choose from several laptop performance modes including Custom, Turbo, Performance, Silent, and Windows. In the manual custom mode, there’s flexibility to adjust parameters such as the CPU’s maximum power consumption and Turbo clock rate, and even overclock the GPU to enhance the clock rate. Additional features like setting Dynamic Boost, power-saving options, and simultaneous fan curve adjustments for the CPU and GPU are available as well.
Here’s a general usage guide:
- For plugged-in usage, Performance mode is recommended.
- On the go, switching to Windows or Silent mode can extend battery life while reducing performance.
- For demanding tasks like gaming or heavy computing, Turbo or Manual mode can be activated for maximum performance, albeit at the cost of increased fan noise around 40-50dBA. This noise level is typically manageable and can often be ignored when wearing headphones.
This intuitive software customization caters to a wide array of user needs, allowing for a personalized experience that balances performance, noise, and energy efficiency according to the specific use-case scenario.
The ROG STRIX SCAR 17 X3D (2023) notebook includes the functionality for GPU switching through “Advanced Optimus” and “Hardware MUX.” These features add a level of control and customization, depending on the user’s needs and preferences. Here’s a detailed breakdown:
- Standard Mode: If the Armory Crate GPU Mode is set to Standard, the Advanced Optimus (found in the NVIDIA control panel) will handle switching the laptop screen between the modes of Optimus internal graphics and independent graphics hybrid or NVIDIA GPU Only.
- Ultimate Mode: Should a player switch the GPU Mode to Ultimate via the MUX hardware provided by Armory Crate, a restart of the laptop will be required. Once restarted, the laptop screen will utilize the RTX 4090 independent display for output, and the Advanced Optimus function will be disabled until reverted back to Standard mode.
- User Recommendation: If you prefer to avoid restarting the game, you may opt to set it to Standard mode. Then, through the NVIDIA control panel, you can switch between Optimus and NVIDIA GPU Only modes. However, it’s advisable not to set the NVIDIA Display Mode to Auto. This auto-switching can create a slight delay in the transition between the internal display and the independent display, leading to a potentially irritating lag. This delay can be annoying if it happens automatically based on the currently opened programs. Typically, keeping it in Optimus mode and manually switching to NVIDIA GPU Only during gaming is the recommended approach.
This dynamic GPU switching function illustrates the laptop’s capability to adapt to different scenarios, allowing users to maximize either performance or power efficiency depending on the situation. It’s an essential feature for gamers and power users who require flexibility and control over their system’s graphics performance.
ROG STRIX SCAR 17 X3D (2023) G733PYV Creation PR, LR, DaVinci Test
The performance test that included both the ROG STRIX SCAR 17 X3D (2023) G733PYV and the G733PY, with the new Ryzen 7945HX3D and Ryzen 7945HX respectively, sounds like a valuable comparison to evaluate the real impact of AMD’s new CPU in gaming laptops. Both systems were set to Turbo mode and GPU Mode Ultimate mode to highlight the performance differences. Here’s a breakdown of the setup:
G733PYV (AMD Ryzen 9 7945HX3D):
- Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 7945HX3D, code-named Dragon Range, 5nm process, 16-core 32-thread, with a maximum Boost clock frequency of 5.4GHz.
- TDP: 55W TDP.
- Memory: Dual-channel 32GB DDR5-4800.
- GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 laptop GPU 175W.
G733PY (AMD Ryzen 9 7945HX):
- Processor: The original Ryzen 7945HX (details on core count, clock frequency, etc., may vary from the HX3D version).
- Memory: Dual-channel 32GB DDR5-4800.
- GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 laptop GPU 175W.
Since all other hardware configurations are the same between the two laptops, the difference in CPU alone can provide valuable insights into how the new Ryzen 9 7945HX3D enhances the performance in various gaming scenarios.
With the AMD Ryzen 9 7945HX3D’s code name, Dragon Range, its higher Boost clock frequency, and 5nm process, it is likely to offer improvements in efficiency and potentially in performance. This comparison would be beneficial to those who want to understand the real-world benefits of the newer AMD processors in gaming laptops, providing direct evidence of any increases in speed, efficiency, or multitasking capabilities.
The NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 laptop GPU information highlights some key specifications that will play a significant role in the gaming performance of the ROG STRIX SCAR 17 X3D (2023) G733PYV and G733PY laptops:
- Rendering Cores: 9728, which provides a strong computational base for rendering complex graphics.
- Memory: 16GB GDDR6, offering plenty of video memory for handling large textures and modern game demands.
- GPU Boost Clock Frequency: 2090 MHz, enabling high-speed processing of graphics data.
- Resizable BAR Support: This feature allows the CPU to access the full GPU memory, which can improve performance in some games.
- Driver Version: NVIDIA 531.97 during the test, indicating that the latest optimizations and compatibility patches for various games and applications have likely been applied.
The laptops’ internal display GPU is an AMD Radeon 610M. While this won’t be leveraged for heavy gaming tasks, it might be used for more power-efficient operation during regular computing tasks.
These specifications show a state-of-the-art graphics setup, suitable for demanding games and professional tasks. Combining this GPU with the AMD Ryzen 9 7945HX3D or Ryzen 7945HX CPUs will likely offer impressive performance, particularly in gaming, where the GPU will be a key factor.
The results of the Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom Classic tests you provided indicate that the Ryzen 7945HX3D, despite its architectural advancements, performs slightly worse in this specific benchmark compared to its predecessor, the original Ryzen 7945HX. A -6% loss in performance is seen, primarily attributed to its slower performance in the batch processing segment of the test.
The reasons behind this performance difference could be varied, including:
- Thermal Behavior: The addition of 3D V-Cache might affect how the chip handles heat, thus influencing performance in extended workloads like batch processing.
- Optimization: The software or specific tasks within the benchmark might not be optimized for the newer architecture or the 3D V-Cache design.
- Power Management: Differences in power management between the two CPUs might be affecting how performance is sustained over time.
Despite this performance discrepancy in this specific benchmark, it’s essential to note that benchmarks are not always indicative of real-world performance across all workloads. The Ryzen 7945HX3D may perform differently in other applications or use cases, especially those that could leverage the 3D V-Cache technology more effectively. Furthermore, future updates and optimizations from AMD, Adobe, or other software vendors could modify these results.
The PugetBench for Photoshop test results show a marginal difference in performance between the Ryzen 7945HX3D and the original Ryzen 7945HX, with only a 1% difference in performance. This result suggests that in typical Photoshop workloads, the new architecture and 3D V-Cache technology don’t contribute significantly to the difference in performance for these particular tasks.
Here’s what we can interpret from these results:
- Architectural Improvements: The newer architecture, including the 3D V-Cache design, might not be fully utilized in the Photoshop workloads tested. These tasks might not be memory-bound, limiting the potential benefits of the increased L3 cache.
- Task Specificity: The tasks involved in this test might not leverage the areas where the newer processor excels. General photo editing and filter applications may not stress the CPU in ways that highlight the differences between these two chips.
- GPU Role: It’s worth noting that Photoshop also relies on GPU performance, so the GPU scores and how the application leverages GPU acceleration may further influence these results. The identical GPU used in both systems likely contributed to the minimal difference in performance.
- Software Optimization: As with many new hardware technologies, it might take time for software developers to optimize their applications to take full advantage of new capabilities. Future updates to Photoshop or the operating system might reveal more significant performance differences.
In the end, for Photoshop users, the choice between these two processors might come down to other factors, such as power consumption, price, or potential performance in other applications. The marginal difference in performance in these specific tasks suggests that either processor would likely serve well in a Photoshop-centric workflow.
The PugetBench for Lightroom Classic test shows a more favorable result for the Ryzen 7945HX3D, with a 6% performance improvement over the original Ryzen 7945HX. This result is more in line with what might be expected from the new architecture and 3D V-Cache design.
Here’s what we can infer from these Lightroom Classic test results:
- Improvement in Specific Workloads: Unlike the Photoshop test, the Lightroom Classic test seems to have tasks that benefit more from the improvements in the new processor. The tasks involved, such as enlarging the image library view, toggling, auto WB/tone, importing photos, creating smart previews, merging panoramas and HDR, and output operations, appear to better utilize the features of the Ryzen 7945HX3D.
- Potential Memory Utilization: Lightroom Classic might be able to better leverage the additional cache provided by the 3D V-Cache technology. Larger cache sizes are often beneficial for data-intensive tasks, and the improvement seen here could be due to the application’s ability to utilize this feature.
- Software Optimization: This test might also indicate better software optimization in Lightroom Classic for the new processor features.
- Consideration for Professionals: For professionals working extensively in Lightroom Classic, the 6% performance improvement could be significant, especially when dealing with large volumes of high-resolution photos. The enhanced performance might save valuable time in a professional workflow.
In conclusion, the Ryzen 7945HX3D seems to offer a tangible advantage in Lightroom Classic performance. This improvement, though not dramatic, could be meaningful for users who spend a lot of time in this application. It provides a more nuanced picture of the new processor’s capabilities, showing that its advantages might be more apparent in specific software or particular use cases.
The PugetBench for DaVinci Resolve test results show a slight decline in performance with the Ryzen 7945HX3D as compared to the original Ryzen 7945HX, by about 4%. This is an interesting outcome, and here’s how we might interpret these results:
- 3D V-Cache Utilization: The 3D V-Cache technology in the Ryzen 7945HX3D may not provide a significant advantage in DaVinci Resolve’s specific workload. It seems like the tasks tested here do not fully leverage the benefits of the additional cache.
- GPU Effects and Fusion Dependency: DaVinci Resolve relies heavily on GPU computation for certain effects and functions. The test includes GPU special effects of OpenFX and Fusion, areas where the CPU’s performance might not be the main determining factor. As both tested systems use the NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090, this part of the performance may have remained relatively constant.
- Potential Software Optimization Issues: It’s possible that DaVinci Resolve is not yet fully optimized to take advantage of the features in the newer Ryzen 7945HX3D processor. Software optimization can have a significant impact on performance, and this might be an area where updates to the application or drivers could bring improvements.
- Overall Impact: A 4% decrease in performance might not be noticeable in everyday video editing tasks for most users. However, for professionals working with large 4K and 8K media files and relying on fast render times, this difference might be more meaningful.
In conclusion, these results suggest that for tasks in DaVinci Resolve, upgrading from a Ryzen 7945HX to a Ryzen 7945HX3D may not provide a noticeable performance boost. Potential buyers who mainly work with video editing in DaVinci Resolve might want to consider other factors, such as GPU performance, storage speed, or even waiting for software optimizations, before deciding on an upgrade. The real-world impact of this slight decline in benchmark performance would depend on the specific tasks and workflows of the user.
ROG STRIX SCAR 17 X3D (2023) G733PYV PC Benchmark Benchmark
CINEBENCH R23, created by MAXON and founded on Cinema 4D, is a tool designed to gauge the 3D rendering capabilities of computer CPUs. It also serves as a dependable testing software that can swiftly measure CPU multi-core performance.
As for the Ryzen 7945HX3D, it scores 33078 points on nT and 1942 points on 1T. When compared to the Ryzen 7945HX, it shows a slight reduction of 2% in multi-core performance, though the single-thread performance remains nearly the same.
CrossMark, a cross-platform computer performance assessment tool developed by BAPCo, is freely available for testing. It is compatible with various platforms including Windows, iOS/iPadOS, macOS, and Android, and targets areas of computer productivity like text editing, spreadsheets, and web browsing. Additionally, it measures creativity tasks such as photo editing, organization, video editing, and also evaluates the computer’s response speed.
In these assessments, the Ryzen 7945HX3D posted a cumulative score of 2047 points, with 1900 points for Productivity, 2355 points for Creativity, and 1681 points for Responsiveness. These overall scores surpass those achieved by the Ryzen 7945HX.
In an AIDA64 memory test, the ROG STRIX SCAR 17 X3D utilized dual-channel DDR5-4800 32GB memory. The read and write speeds were measured at 59738 MB/s and 58194 MB/s, respectively, with a memory latency of 89.0 nanoseconds.
The laptop ROG STRIX SCAR 17 X3D is equipped with a 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD. As for its performance, the CrystalDiskMark test reveals sequential read and write speeds of 7295.95 MB/s and 6495.65 MB/s, respectively.
In the 3DMark Fire Strike test, designed to quickly assess laptop performance for older DX11 API and AAA games, the Ryzen 7945HX3D was evaluated across different resolutions. In the mainstream 1080p Fire Strike test, it scored 42,443 points. For the more demanding 1440p Extreme, it achieved 26,067 points, while in the even higher 4K 2160p Ultra test, it registered 13,970 points.
When comparing the total scores, the Ryzen 7945HX3D’s performance was slightly inferior to the Ryzen 7945HX in the 1080p Fire Strike test, with a marginal loss of about -1%. However, the scores for Extreme and Ultra resolutions were identical between the two processors. In the Physics calculations across all test scenarios, the Ryzen 7945HX3D consistently showed a minor decrease, with a -4% drop in Physical Potency.
3DMark Time Spy, developed using the DirectX 12 API, is another test scenario that aligns with AAA game standards. In this test, the Ryzen 7945HX3D achieved a score of 20,319 at 1440p resolution and 10,737 in the Extreme category. The overall score is quite similar to that of the Ryzen 7945HX, with only a negligible difference in CPU performance. It becomes apparent that the actual enhancement in the X3D variant is primarily manifested in the gaming performance at 1080p resolution.
ROG STRIX SCAR 17 X3D (2023) G733PYV – 4 Gaming Benchmarks
Four foundational e-sports games, “Rainbow Six: Siege,” “League of Legends,” “APEX Heroes,” and “CS:GO,” are staples for many players and are commonly installed on gaming computers. The tests were conducted at 1440p resolution with the maximum special effects settings.
The Ryzen 7945HX3D performed with an average of 548.7 FPS in “CS:GO,” 279 FPS in “APEX Heroes,” 484 FPS in “League of Legends,” and 433 FPS in “Rainbow Six: Siege.”
When comparing it to the Ryzen 7945HX in e-sports games, the Ryzen 7945HX3D shows a modest improvement, about 3% higher overall. Notably, in “League of Legends,” it leads by 5%, representing the highest performance increase among the tested games.
ROG STRIX SCAR 17 X3D (2023) G733PYV – 10 AAA Game Benchmarks
A performance evaluation was carried out on 10 AAA games at a 1440p resolution with maximum special effects settings. The test included newly added games like “Diablo IV”, “Hogwarts Legacy”, and “F1® 22”, as well as well-known titles such as “Shadow of the Tomb Raider”, “Death Stranding”, “Gears of War 5”, “Horizon: Zero Dawn”, “Borderlands 3”, “Doom Eternal”, “Assassin’s Creed: Valhalla”, and “God of War”.
In these 10 games, the Ryzen 7945HX3D managed to achieve an average performance of 149.3 FPS. Specific averages include 206 FPS in “Diablo IV”, 110 FPS in “Doom Eternal”, and 118 FPS in “God of War”. Even at 2K QHD resolution without DLSS acceleration, the results still fulfill the performance needs of gamers.
However, the Ryzen 7945HX3D’s improvement in game performance at 1440p resolution is only 3% compared to the Ryzen 7945HX. Among the tested games, “Death Stranding” realized a 14% performance enhancement, making it the title that benefited the most from the X3D cache in this particular evaluation.
ROG STRIX SCAR 17 X3D (2023) G733PYV – 9 ray tracing DXR game tests
Nine ray-tracing game tests were conducted, including newly added titles like “Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order,” “Hogwarts Legacy,” “Cyberpunk 2077,” “Control,” “Spider-Man: Miles Morales,” “Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy,” “Far Cry 6,” “The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt,” and “Microsoft Flight Simulator.” These games were tested at 1440p resolution with the highest special effects settings, and ray tracing and DLSS/FSR acceleration were enabled.
The Ryzen 7945HX3D averaged 134.1 FPS across these nine ray-tracing games. Specific averages were 164.9 FPS in “Cyberpunk 2077,” 163 FPS in “Spider-Man: Miles Morales,” 136 FPS in “The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt,” and 116 FPS in “Microsoft Flight Simulator.”
The comparison with the Ryzen 7945HX revealed intriguing results. The Ryzen 7945HX3D showed a 9% improvement in game performance at 1440p resolution with ray-tracing DLSS-accelerated games. Specific gains were seen in games like “The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt” with a 29% increase, “Far Cry 6” with a 23% increase, and “Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order” with a 19% increase.
The test results indicate that if the game engine is more CPU-intensive during design, then the large-capacity L3 cache of Ryzen 7945HX3D can lead to substantial performance improvements. Conversely, if the game is more GPU-intensive, the difference in performance is comparatively minor.
ROG STRIX SCAR 17 X3D (2023) G733PYV temperature and power consumption test
The temperature evaluation was conducted using Turbo mode and included tests for standby, AIDA64 CPU, Cinebench R23, Time Spy Stress (GPU simulation), and the in-game temperature performance after playing “Cyberpunk 2077.”
In standby mode, the Ryzen 7945HX3D exhibited CPU and GPU temperatures of 48.1°C and 39.4°C, respectively. During the 10-minute AIDA64 CPU stress test, the temperature peaked at 88.8°C, and a similar temperature was reached in the Cinebench R23 CPU test, suggesting this might be the maximum temperature threshold for the X3D version.
In the Time Spy Stress simulation game test, the CPU and GPU temperatures were 83.1°C and 77.6°C, respectively. The test for the ray-tracing game “Cyberpunk 2077” yielded CPU and GPU temperatures of 86.3°C and 75.4°C.
The findings reveal that the 3D V-Cache chip stacking in the Ryzen 7945HX3D seems to lower the CPU’s maximum temperature to 88°C in these tests. This is a notable improvement compared to the Ryzen 7945HX, which reached a maximum of 95°C, thus demonstrating relatively good temperature performance for the newer model.
When it comes to power usage, the Ryzen 7945HX3D has a peak power consumption of just 91W. This is lower than the Ryzen 7945HX, which can reach up to 97.3W, making the Ryzen 7945HX3D more energy-efficient, particularly during gaming.
Regarding the temperature distribution across the keyboard surface while playing games on the laptop, the warmest area at the top of the keyboard reaches 50°C, and the area below the spacebar is at 43°C. Since the QWER keys are located directly below the fan, the surface temperature in that area is a mere 30.7°C. Overall, the cooling performance is quite satisfactory for a laptop of this specification.
ROG STRIX SCAR 17 X3D (2023) G733PYV Endurance Test
In a laptop battery life assessment using the PCMark 10 Battery Profile’s Modern Office scenario, the laptops were configured with 50% screen brightness, Wi-Fi turned on, RGB turned off, and Optimus mode engaged.
The Ryzen 7945HX3D achieved a battery life of 3 hours and 37 minutes in Performance mode, and slightly less at 3 hours and 24 minutes in Silent mode. This marks a modest improvement of 15 minutes in battery duration compared to the previous Ryzen 7945HX version.
The AMD Ryzen 7945HX3D in the notebook version enhances gaming performance, showing a 3% improvement in general AAA games at 1440p resolution and a 9% boost in ray-tracing DLSS accelerated games. For fans of “Microsoft Flight Simulator,” the X3D’s increased cache offers an impressive 29% performance increase.
With lower temperature and power consumption limits, the Ryzen 7945HX3D brings minor advantages to laptops. For the ROG STRIX SCAR 17 series, swapping the processor doesn’t greatly affect the keyboard’s surface temperature or the overall cooling efficiency, but it does contribute to a 15-minute improvement in battery life.
The availability of ROG STRIX SCAR 17 X3D (2023) G733PYV models in Taiwan is yet to be determined and depends on Asustek’s plans. The current highest-end models available in Taiwan are the ROG STRIX SCAR 17 (2023) G733 and RTX 4080 versions, priced at NT$89,999. If the Ryzen 7945HX3D and RTX 4090 push the price over NT$100,000, it might depend on whether the flagship gamers’ budgets can accommodate it.
If this article is helpful for you, please share this article with your friends on social media. Thank you!
This article is based on the personality of the reviews. You are responsible for fact-checking if the contents are not facts or accurate.
Title: Testing Report for Ryzen 7945HX3D Assault! ROG STRIX SCAR 17 X3D (2023) Model G733PYV